Friday, March 13, 2009

Things I wonder about...

Last night, we were preparing for a class session that Jenna was going to teach the 1st & 2nd-graders at our kids' Home-Education Co-Op, which happens once-a-week on Thursday mornings. So when the check-out lady at Stater Brothers asked why we were purchasing dry lima beans, plastic cups and sundry other items, I told her that Jenna was "teaching a class tomorrow." She then lauded Jenna for being a teacher, and seemed to have an instant boost in respect toward Jenna... I can only assume it's because she assumed that Jenna was a public school teacher... Is that presumptuous? I only wonder, because earlier that day she got almost the same treatment (plus a discount!) at another store earlier that day, after she said she was "teaching a class."

I wonder if she would have received the same displays of respect and admiration if she revealed that she was a "keeper-of-the-home?" Recently I saw a friend (also a "home-keeper") list her job description as "CEO of Household Operations and Student Development." How cool is that!

------------

Also, when we announced to friends that we were expecting our 5th child, some of them carelessly said something like, "Don't you know how this whole thing works?"

Listen. I'm 40 years old. I've been procreating, off-and-on, for the last 13 years. What do you take me for? Just because we don't subscribe to the "Boy for me and a girl for you and praise-the-Lord, we're finally through" line of thinking, does that imply that we're not capable of making thoughtful decisions about the size of our family?

Anyway, just thought I'd rant for a while. Thanks for reading. :-)

No comments: