I think it’s reasonable to assert that anyone who willingly enters into a lifelong, covenant relationship with their Creator is necessarily obliged, as a matter of conscience and integrity, to cast their vote in the direction of the candidate(s) who most closely reflects the heart and truth of the only Son of God, Jesus. As a communicator, Jesus was never recorded as having to say “actually, what I really meant when I said that, was __________...” He communicated the heart of the Father concisely, consistently, and let the chips fall where they may. It was primarily His verbal communication and assertions – not his deeds – that ultimately caused upheaval and hostility among his enemies. In the middle of His earthly ministry, His words made it very clear that to not follow Him (i.e. devote one’s life to Him) was the equivalent of being His enemy, and thus the enemy of the God of the Universe. To “see” (i.e. “know”) the heart of Jesus was to see and know God.
Rationally, from this standpoint, my choice of presidential candidate must therefore rest on whom I feel most readily and unapologetically aligns themselves with the Jesus of the Bible; not the “Jesus” of the Koran, or of the Mormons, or of any other post-Biblical source… and there is a world of difference, I assure you. From my perspective, Obama needs just too many words to convince America of his intentions (Proverbs 10:19, Ecclesiastes 5:3), and he seems to want to align himself with as many seemingly-worthwhile causes as possible. I’m a little more at peace with McCain, who purports that “more government” is not the solution to America’s ills, that the answers to many of America’s questions are not as complex as Obama described in the Civil Forum. I’m even more at peace in voting for McCain after having read what I have about his choice for VP. Together, they more closely resemble the American leaders that our founding fathers – in their providential wisdom and courage – envisioned for their bold-yet-God-dependent new country.
Thanks for reading. May we all VOTE without wavering, and serve this country without compromise, contradiction or complaint.
No comments:
Post a Comment