“Nice Oil Drama”
As a musician and pastor of worship at my church, I’ve (literally) lost count of how many times I’ve been asked — by my Christ-adhering friends — if I “watched American Idol last night.” Shortly after I decline (I don’t afford cable TV), I usually get passed on in the conversation as they talk amongst each other about the merits or shortcomings of the latest candidate or ex-candidate. “Surely this is only harmless water-cooler talk,” I tell myself…
That’s when I’m reminded of Mr. Webster’s definition of the verb “worship”. Maybe we Americans have watered down our fear and reverence for God so much that we can use our dear country’s name and pagan worship in the same phrase, without giving it a second thought. Oh come on, Ric; it’s only innocent entertainment, right? – and we need to stay “culturally relevant” in order to “reach people for Christ,” right?
Perhaps.
Still, I wonder if the same emphasis and enthusiasm is given to what R.C. Sproul, Jr. calls the “3 G’s: Who God is, what God has done, and what God requires.” Are our own lives and activities in the
“American Idol” anagrammed is “Nice Oil Drama.” That about sums it up.
No comments:
Post a Comment